Occlusal guards, also called bite splints, are removable oral appliances that are used for a variety of reasons. Do you suffer from TMJ issues or routinely clench your jaw? Some guards are created to minimize tooth wear from clenching and grinding. Or maybe you grind your teeth and they are beginning to wear. Perhaps you have restored many teeth and you are simply looking for a way to protect your new smile. No matter your concern, Ellis Family Dentistry can create a custom occlusal guard that is unique to you!
There are specialty occlusal guards that address specific concerns. Nightguards or snore guards may address problems caused by snoring or sleep apnea. Another common occlusal guard is a sports guard. Many people wear sports guards to protect their teeth during high-impact activities. Still not sure which option is best for you? Ellis Family Dentistry is here to help!
- Commonly used to alleviate symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding.
- Protects the teeth from additional wear.
- Custom made from hard acrylic to fit your teeth.
- Some patients need a special sleep appliance to help with sleep apnea or snoring.
- Made from two splints and a retaining system.
- Pulls the lower jaw forward to open the airway using different sized rods.
- Typically used by children and teens.
- Hard guards provide more protection than over the counter options.
- Want to rep your school? Sports guards are customizable and available in multiple colors!